The Danish Supreme Court was set up by King Frederik the Third in 1661 in connection with the introduction of absolute monarchy. At that time, the King was court president and had the authority to set aside the Court's decisions. However, already from the first half of the 18th century, the Supreme Court proved that it was independent from the state government in line with the notion of separation of power prevailing during the Age of Enlightenment. The 1849 Constitution confirmed the Supreme Court's independence with the provisions on the separation of the legislative, executive and judicial powers and the irremovability of judges. Since 1919, the Supreme Court has been located at its current address Prins Jørgens Gård 13 in Copenhagen, and is part of the third Christiansborg Castle that was rebuilt after the fire in 1884. The architect, Thorvald Jørgensen, reused C.F. Hansen's old main portal from the second Christiansborg as the entrance to the Supreme Court. In the mid-1990s, some of the former royal stables from the first Christiansborg became part of the Supreme Court's premises and now hold the Court's library.